- MEXICO MIXTECA DARK is a body-focused, chocolatey bold coffee; it's similar in roast degree to our Guatemala-based French Roast, but has a more up-front roast flavor. As a bonus, it's also USDA Organic & Fair Trade Certified!
- DARK ROAST - We also have a Medium Roast version of this coffee!
- FLAVOR NOTES: Bittersweet Chocolate, Cedar, Full Bodied - this coffee has a strong aroma of freshly cut cedar.
- ROASTED FRESH in our environmentally friendly Loring roaster to reduce our carbon footprint.
- WHOLE BEAN COFFEE packaged in nitrogen flushed bags for freshness.
MEXICO MIXTECA is grown in a remote region of Oaxaca, one of Mexico's southern states along the Pacific Coast. It's made up of coffees from the approximately 170 small coffee producers who make up the Mixteca Alta del Pacifico farmers cooperative. They overwhelmingly use shade-grown methods, growing native trees alongside the coffee to act as a protective canopy.
Coffee harvest runs January through March each year, with time spent throughout the year cultivating coffee trees and preparing for harvest; during the harvest, each member handpicks their coffee and operates their own small scale wet mill, equipped with a hand cranked depulper, small cement fermentation tanks and a drying patio. The dried coffee is then delivered to a central location for further sorting & preparation for export.
Members of the cooperative are committed to growing without chemical pesticides or fertilizers, and using methods that have a low impact on the environment; the cooperative structure allows them to sell their coffee on the Fair Trade market, setting a guaranteed minimum purchase price to ensure ongoing viability.